A destination playground with something for every age group and ability level
In 2014 Hutt City set about creating the premiere play space for the Wellington region – something that would stand out among New Zealand’s playgrounds and raise the bar for destination playgrounds. Playground People’s capacity to create truly bespoke play spaces by sourcing equipment from the world’s best playground suppliers, coupled with our own design, manufacturing and installation capabilities resulted in Playground People being awarded the contract to supply equipment for Avalon Park.
Avalon Park is regionally important destination playground, the perfect spot for a project of this scale – centrally located, close to the motor way and fortunate to have existing infrastructure including toilets and plenty of parking. Playground People worked closely with Opus International’s Landscape Architecture team to collectively design an accessible playground with a huge variety of diverse play experiences spread over a large area for Hutt City Council. This has ensured that there is something for every age group and ability level to enjoy. Avalon Park Playground has already proven to successfully cater for the huge numbers of visitors it has received over the school holidays.
Some of the key play features include:
- The Helix: This is the first structure of its kind anywhere in the world, it was conceived by Opus’s designers and – in a feat of engineering – brought to life by Corocord. It is a playful mix of sculptural beauty, a large helix winding its way through the landscape and Corocord’s famed blend of progressive climbing challenges and socialisation opportunities.
- The Central spine: The Spine is an accessible landscape feature that divides the Helix in two, it can be climbed up, over and through. The Spine is also a staging platform for dual tube slides, trampolines and a thrilling double flying fox.
- Amazing water play area: this water rill showcases the incredible stainless steel Richter Spielgerate water play features for the first time in New Zealand. Cleverly modelled after the Hutt River, it will provide hours of educational fun for one and all.
- Junior and sand play area: a combination of Kompan’s classic hardwood Nature range, Richter Spielgerate spinners and Playground People’s own swings and bespoke sand play equipment; this wonderfully scaled play space will keep junior users happily occupied while allowing for plenty of interactive play with adults and older children.
- The Giant Birds Nest Swing: No destination playground would be complete without Kompan’s legendary 360o basket swing – the tallest swing available anywhere provides genuine excitement for all ages.
While the Avalon Park has been one of New Zealand’s most ambitious playground projects to date, the equipment coupled with the amazing landscape means that we have been able to provide incredible value for money. The quality of the equipment we have provided combined with our renowned aftersales service means that the new Avalon Park Playground will carry on the proud tradition of creating happy childhood memories for generations to come.